(The withdrawal is only to take effect in one year. The heading and the 1st paragraph have been corrected accordingly.)
WASHINGTON (dpa-AFX) – The United States has officially announced its withdrawal from the World Health Organization (WHO). The announcement, which would take effect on July 6, 2021, had been submitted to UN Secretary-General Antnio Guterres, a senior government official told the German press agency in Washington on Tuesday. Congress has been informed of this, the leading Democrat in the Senate Foreign Affairs Committee, Bob Menendez, said on Twitter. US president Donald Trump had announced the move in late May.
Trump’s decision to end cooperation in the middle of the pandemic had generated criticism worldwide. Trump makes serious allegations to the WHO in dealing with the pandemic: he accuses the UN specialized agency of having informed too late about the danger of the corona virus and of being under the control of the government in Beijing.
He repeatedly pointed out that the United States paid more money to the organization than China. He made the organization based in Geneva responsible for the high number of deaths. WHO also closed the necessary reforms. The US president also accuses China of not preventing the global spread of the corona virus and threatens to face consequences.
Trump had already frozen the WHO contributions in April and thus attracted international criticism. The United States has been the main donor to date. This year, the contributions should actually be just under $ 116 million.
Trump himself is under heavy pressure in the Corona crisis. The Republican had played down the danger for a long time. Critics accuse him of wanting to divert attention from his own column with his campaign against WHO and China. In total, according to the Johns Hopkins University, more than 130,000 people have died as a result of an infection with the coronavirus, almost three million infections have already been detected./lkl/DP/fba