ROME (dpa-AFX) – The Italian government considers the German-French plan for a 500 billion program for the weak economy in the EU to be a step in the right direction. This was reported by various media in Rome on Monday, citing government circles. But there is still room for improvement, it said.
With the sum of 500 billion euros “we can start to make the recovery fund (reconstruction fund) even more substantial within the framework of the European budget”, the Ansa news agency quoted the government of Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte. The Minister for European Affairs, Enzo Amendola, made a similar statement.
Germany and France had previously presented a joint plan for the reconstruction program. Thereafter, the money is to be raised on behalf of the EU on the capital market and will flow to the crisis countries in the context of the multi-year EU financial framework. The government said it said the plan would also include traps from Italy.
Opposition leader Matteo Salvini from the right-wing Lega complained on Canale 5 that Berlin and Paris had announced the proposal: “Today Merkel and Macron gave a press conference alone: Actually, it is not known whether there is an EU or France and Germany decide alone, “he said, according to Ansa.
The highly indebted Italy puts great hopes in a reconstruction fund. The country had been hit particularly hard and early by the Corona pandemic. Rome had therefore long and emphatically demanded joint bonds in the form of so-called corona bonds./pky/DP/he